Monday, February 26, 2007

And the Oscar Goes to... the Commercials for Being Way Better than the SuperBowl Ads

So I watched the Academy awards last night and was pleasantly surprised to see a plethora of good commercials. After a disappointing year of Super Bowl commercials, I was happy to see some good ads during the Oscars. I was most excited to see the commercial for the iPhone. This is the first commercial for the product that is due out in June. It was a collage of clips from television shows and movies of characters picking up the phone and saying hello. It is very fast paced with 30 total hellos (a little more than one per second.)I thought it was a cleaver idea for an ad. It is funny with some scenes from comedies like Zoolander and Anchor Man. I thought it was a little surprising that the ad is running so early with four months before the iPhone is even on the market.

Rating- 8.5 Popsicles



ANother interesting ad was the McDonald's commercial. It was a bunch of different kids running around to each other and speaking in different languages. The last kid spoke English and said "Dad's makin' dinner." The kids get excited and run off. Then it shows the dads walk in with McDonald's bags. This seems different from other McDonald's ads because you don't know what the ad is for until the very end. They usually through those arches all over the television. This one was much more subtle. I think it feeds into the stereotypes that dads don't cook and that the only way he can feed his children is by purchasing take-out. On the other hand that is exactly what my dad did when we were growing up so I guess I can't be too critical of that. All in all it was a cute ad.

Rating- 7 Popsicles



No comments: